Keeping up with emerging social networks is a job in itself. To help make it easier, Online Social Savvy is introducing a new series to appear every Monday called “In the Spotlight.” This series will profile new social networking sites becoming popular among teens, their services, and any privacy considerations raised by the sites.
Social Network in the Spotlight: DailyBooth.com
- What it is: a social network which offers “one big conversation about your life, through pictures”
- What you do: you create an account, you post a daily picture or two, you connect with other users doing the same and comment on their posts – it’s a literal snapshot into your life and the lives of others
- Who is using it: the audience at DailyBooth is made up primarily of young women between the ages of 18 and 24, who browse the site from school
- How popular is the site: the site is roughly the 2,000th most popular in the US, and the 4,000th in the world – and has gained 25% in traffic over the last 3 months
- When was it launched: ~March 2010
- Where is it linked: the site is linked with, and used from, both Facebook and Twitter – 43% of the site’s users come from those social networks
Who Runs the Site
Offering “one big conversation about your life, through picture,” DailyBooth appears invented by and for today’s youth.
Brian Pokorny is the CEO – and judging from his online bio he’s somewhere in his late 20s. Brian is not only CEO at DailyBooth, but also on the board of advisers of a number of other social media start-ups, including Rupture, Stitcher, Spotzer, and Ooyala. He also has investments in TweetDeck, RethinkDB, Chomp, Milo, Blippy, and Bump.
- They will only connect your IP address with your personal information, if you violate the site’s terms of service
- The site uses cookie technology – both session and persistent
- The site shares private information about their users, with trusted third-parties
- The site safeguards confidentiality of user information through the use of security technologies
- Is DailyBooth’s Photo Sharing the Next Big Thing? Investors Say Yes (mashable.com)
- Photo Social Network DailyBooth Raises $6 Million (paidcontent.org)
- DailyBooth Wants Your Next Status Update to Be a Photo (fastcompany.com)